Welcome to Bulstone Springs Farm!
Travelling to the sticks...
I decided to brave it and travel down to Branscombe to visit my friend Ellie who is working as a free farm hand there. Bulstone is a small organic permaculture farm, full of slow grown chickens, ducks and Guinea fowl. Don't forget the two alpacas thrown into the mix to help ward off foxes in the land, how cool is that?
![]() |
| Collecting memories |
![]() |
| Checkout the natural eyeliner |
Farm life
I braved it on Friday to put some trust in my wellies and venture out to walk across the farm and get used to some very friendly chickens. I appreciated just how free range this farm is, all day the animals are treated with the highest welfare standards possible. You could really taste the difference in the chicken the night before's meal and the fresh eggs in the morning.
One thing that struck me out here is the reminder just how present you have to be. To value what is happening in the moment. It really helped me to see just how much daily stresses of city life can be unnecessary and can even be damaging. There's so much stress in the daily grind that it's easy to forget to cherish each moment. I suffer from anxiety and this really was a God send to me at this time.
An example of just accepting the current situation and laughing about it; when an escapee chicken decided to check me out in outdoor shower window! I felt like a settled into farm life properly then.
I found out that the chickens in hut B don't have a cockerel and are all single, so they get a bit desperate for a few cuddles here and there. Something I don't mind.
Sidmouth beach
On Friday we had a quick visit to Sidmouth beach for lunch. Checking out the local shops, buying some lemon and cardamon chocolate for later (don't tell Esme). After I quite ingeniously got my leather coat soaked right through sitting on the stone wall we decided it was best to dry off and get some lunch.
It wouldn't be me if I didn't take a selfie on the trip, now would it? ;) One thing I love just as much as countryside and feeling the warm soil is beaches. Especially the last few weeks I've began to appreciate them more and more for the sound of the waves and just 'at one' with nature I can feel.
![]() |
| Caption this... |
Back at my home from home
I loved our little caravan we shared. The log fire kept us more than toasty at night and was treated to botanical bedding (yes, I have a love of bedding). It was a shame to leave so soon. On Saturday due to feeling a bit under the weather I just enjoyed relaxing in the cabin, having a chocolate tea and taking in my surroundings.The journey back home was beautiful and really enjoyed just being in. Thank you Jon and Laura for letting me stay and to Esme for being her marvellous, creative (and dare say, mischievous) self.
Going home
Okay, I'm going to be a bit philosophical here... So bare with. When you think about it window gazing is a form of meditation (check it out) and some of the most inspired ideas such as J K Rowling's Harry Potter came from a train.
So I started to just type out what I want my future to look like. Nothing fancy, just typing away...I do know one thing, as well as getting my first allotment soon (spoiler alert) and continuing with my creative writing but what I'm taking with me is a little bit of being happy in the now.
Hope you enjoyed reading about my little adventure and more posts to come soon!
xoxo










Comments
Post a Comment